Monday, July 1, 2013

Summer. Finally.

Summer finally arrived and school finally ended. 

GAH. FINALLY.

The last few days are kind of depressing.
I proctor exams (BORING) and I clean my classroom (also boring).  My students did well on the regents exams. Even if they do well, I always tell them that they can do better.  My mother always told me, "You can never be number one.  The best you can do is come in second place.  There will always be someone who can beat you." Good advice, I think.  Why bother being number one when someone is always trying to take you down?  I will gladly take second place.

I started my summer seeing some awesome shows. James got us tickets to see a French band called Caravan Palace at Irving Plaza. Think of gypsy music meets electronica/ techno.  The band jumps around the stage while they play music.  And the audience follows.  Lots of sweaty dancing!
James got some good photos of the band in between the jumping. 


   James' dad was in town this week and since he is apart of a gypsy jazz band, the Hot Club of Saratoga, he of course wanted to check out the Django Reinhardt Festival at Birdland. The show was AMAZING. The band was ridiculously talented!  Each player in the band was flown in just to play in the festival and I can see why. They were great!  Check out Anat Cohen, killing it on the clarinet. I now have new respect for the clarinet.  

    I have a busy summer ahead.  A summer program called Siemens STEM STARs in Washington State, then a trip to Portland (Amy!) and Seattle (Fauna!), and a wedding in New Hampshire with stops in Saratoga Springs and Boston.  I want to get some camping in too.  James and I got to camp for one night this summer at Little Pond campground.  It was nice to sit by a fire and eat perfectly melty smores. It was pretty cold at night but hopefully, the next time we camp, it will be warm and we will get to kayak!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment