Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Volunteer week

It's volunteer week!  I am the school chaperone for all NYCares volunteer events so I spent my Saturday with my students fixing up Jackie Robinson Park, which is super easy to get to for me. But for my students, not so much.

The phone calls and texts ensued Saturday morning:

Student 1: "Miss, I'm lost. I'm in Central Park. I think I missed my stop"  

Student 2: "Miss, I'm lost. I'm in St. Nicholas Park"

Student 3&4: "Miss, we're lost.  We're on Broadway and all we see is a McDonalds"

Student 5: "Miss, I'm lost. I see a sign that says Lenox.  Do you know where I am?"

Student 6 & 7: Miss, we're lost.  People keep telling us the wrong directions.  It's okay miss, we'll use our GSP"

Oh my. GSP.
I give them props for even trying to make it to the volunteer event.  Also worth noting, the directions I gave them, with very clear instructions on how to get to the site, might as well have been in chinese.

We were assigned to paint the lines in the basketball courts.  Here's the before and after.




14 students participated.  For a Saturday morning, I'm surprised anyone showed up.  They all did a great job!

Lastly, I wonder if cutting out meat in my diet will only make me eat more sweets. Let's me think about this as we look at these hostess cupcake style cookies I made. 

 I got a little frosting happy. The last cookie was a tester.  It was ugly, but I ate it anyways. I might have overcooked some of them because they were a little dry but I ate them too. Frosting very easily covers that right up.  The recipe is here.

1 comment:

  1. My mouth is watering just looking at those cookies!

    ReplyDelete